Making Your Own Winter Wreath
Not sure why I decided to make a winter wreath, but I’m so glad I did! I love how it turned out and that it’s exactly the way that I want it. It’s hard to find a cute wreath with the color scheme I like, so being able to pick everything that went into the wreath was so cool.
I want to share with y’all how I made it, so if you want to try too, you can! It’s pretty simple, but I will give you some tips/tricks that I learned along the way.
Gather your supplies.
I chose different plants but all within the same shades, so it looked cohesive! (p.s. I didn’t end up using the lavender!) Make sure if you are buying this from Michael’s/Jo Annes that you use coupons! This saves you so much money.
Get the base down.
Figure out what flower is your base. I chose to use the flocked eucalyptus as my base as well as the regular version. Once I had these all cut into manageable pieces, I started with the flocked eucalyptus and evenly spreading it throughout the frame. It figured out it was easier to tie it down toward the middle and then bend the top and bottom to where I wanted it. Then, I would tie down the bottom of the stem and leave the top free.
*Note on the wire: I cut the wire pieces into 2 inch pieces and before I tried to use them as ties I bent them into more of a “c” shape, so it was easier to tie the stems to the wire wreath.
Add in decorative flowers.
Next, I took my more decorative flowers/plants to make the wreath look fuller. Once the base was in, I added 5 sprigs of the bunny’s tail and then the white berries. There wasn’t an exact science to where I added them, I just tried to make the wreath balanced on all sides. I tied down the bunny’s tail with wire, but the berries were too short to tie, so I just tried to snuggle them into the wreath enough so they wouldn’t fall out.
*Note on the flowers: The easiest flowers to use were the ones with wire in them, so next time I am definitely going to try to find flowers with wire throughout the entire piece. Makes it way easier to keep things in place.
Take a step back.
After you’ve added all of your pieces, I recommend hanging it on the wall and seeing if there are any spots that look more sparse than others or have more white than others. I found that one section needed more flocked eucalyptus, so I added that in there. Plus I had to mess around with some branches and bend them to the way I wanted them. This is the part that probably takes the longest because you are just bending and moving things until you like it.
And that’s it! It took me around an hour to put it all together, but it was also my first time ever doing this! I love the way it turned out too.